There are a lot of hearing aid brands out there, but which is best for you? Well, it depends on your individual needs! There is no one best brand for every hearing need, and anyone who says there is, is probably on that company’s payroll.
Instead, there are several good brands, of which the best for you will depend upon your individual needs and tastes. We recommend specific brands towards the end of this article, but first, there are a few other things we think you should know:
What You Should Know Before You Choose
We know you’re probably eager to get started choosing a hearing aid, but the worst thing you could do right now is to go out and purchase a hearing aid online before you know what you need. A hearing aid is not a complete solution to your hearing problems and should only be purchased as one part of a holistic hearing rehabilitation plan.
Additionally, hearing aids aren’t all the same. Some types may be better suited to your condition than others, and if you make a hasty purchase, you might not get all the benefits you could have received with the right model.
Before you purchase, we recommend you take the following three steps:
Step 1: Consult an Independent Audiologist
To purchase the correct hearing aid, you first need to understand your unique individual needs. An independent audiologist will diagnose your hearing problem and will suggest which different hearing aids will best meet your needs.
Step 2: Decide What Is Important For You
To choose from those hearing aids, you should consider what is important for you. Do you want your hearing aid to be as hidden as possible? Do you have an active lifestyle that necessitates an in-ear hearing aid? What is the maximum you are willing to spend on a solution?
Step 3: Have Your Hearing Aid Fitted By a Professional
Finally, give this information to your audiologist. They will be able to identify which hearing aids both meet your needs (healthwise) and your established lifestyle and financial objectives. From there, you should have several good options to choose from according to your tastes.
Please note: We do not recommend you ever purchase a hearing aid online. By purchasing through your audiologist, you will not only get the correct device, but you will also benefit from their help fitting and setting up your hearing aid. You may also be able to trial a hearing aid.
Hearing Aid Brands We Recommend
Because we’re independent, we have tried (and stock) a wide range of hearing aid brands. In particular, we recommend the following to our customers:
- Unitron – Global hearing aid manufacturers that produce both in-ear and behind-the-ear models. Unitron produce the Moxi Now – the world’s smallest wireless Receive-in-Ear (RIC) hearing aid.
- Phonak – Phonak have been producing hearing solutions for more than 70 years, and we’re a fan. They are constantly innovating to help their customers hear better.
- Oticon – The Oticon Opn hearing aids couple a high-quality sound experience with some very stylish designs, including invisible in-ear hearing aids.
- Starkey – Starkey created the first hearing aid for iPhone and have been innovating ever since.
- Widex – A family-owned Danish company, Widex has grown to be one of the largest manufacturers of hearing aids in the world. Their innovation-first approach led to the world’s first in-the-ear hearing aids.
- Sivantos – Sivantos manufacture both the Siemens and Signia brands of hearing aids.
All of these brands produce high-quality solutions, but please don’t guess about which one is right for you. We strongly recommend you book in a consultation with your local audiologist first.