Best Hearing Loss and Tinnitus Apps For Your Ears
Did you know one of your best tools for dealing with hearing loss and tinnitus is probably less than a metre away? Yep – it’s your smartphone. There are hundreds of apps that are designed to enhance hearing, provide additional capabilities, or deliver relief and many of them are either free or only cost a few dollars.
With so many to choose from it’s tough to find the right app – so we’ve done the hard work for you. Below you’ll find our top picks in three categories – Hearing Enhancements, Tinnitus Relief, and Helpful Tools.
Our Recommended Hearing Enhancement App: Petralex
Petralex is a free app which enables you to use your smartphone as a hearing aid. There are many other apps that offer similar functionality, but Petralex is a step ahead. We don’t recommend you ditch your hearing aid just yet, but this app works as a great alternative if you’ve run out of batteries or don’t wear a hearing aid and need a quick boost.
- 44.1 kHz sampling rate – higher than many hearing aids
- Auto adjusts to your hearing and environment
- Support for Bluetooth headsets
Our Recommended Tinnitus Relief App: ReSound Tinnitus Relief
There are many sound therapy apps available that can help distract your brain and manage the symptoms of Tinnitus; our recommendation is ReSound Tinnitus Relief. It’s not magic: if the severity of your condition means that sound therapy is not effective then this app is unlikely to make the difference, but for everyone else this is the best option.
- Layer up combinations of multiple sounds
- Adjust balance between ears
- Includes guided meditation, deep breathing, and other activities designed to distract from Tinnitus.
- Stream sound to your hearing aid (if you have one)
Special Mention: Hearing Aid Apps
Sound Alert isn’t cheap, but it is clever. The app enables your smartphone to detect certain sounds – such as your smoke alarm – and alert you either through your smartphone or another compatible device. The app comes with some standard sounds pre-installed (mainly smoke and CO alarms), but you can also customize with specific sounds you want alerts for.
- Phone vibration and flashing light to alert you
- Compatible with Pebble watch and compatible alert products (including Bellman and Geemarc products)
- Programme 10 custom sounds
Our Recommended Helpful Tool: Sound Alert
Did you know that most hearing aids now have apps that work with them? Features vary by manufacturer but usually include battery monitoring, the ability to adjust settings, including volume, using your phone, and create and switch between multiple programs. Some also enable wireless streaming.